It is not generally known that Utrecht has more than one Cathedral. St Gertrude's Cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of the Old Catholic Church. That Church originated in the 18th century after a conflict with the Church of Rome. Now the Old Catholic Church is associated with churches in other countries, e.g. with the Church of England. The present Cathedral was built between 1912 and 1914. The Neo-Romanesque style was chosen, because the former Collegiate Church of St Mary's, which stood close by, was the most beautiful Romanesque church in Utrecht. The Chapel of St Gertrude's preceded the Cathedral. This recently renovated chapel is the finest example of a 17th-century clandestine church in Holland. Its restoration was rewarded the Europa Nostra Award for Restoration and Conservation in 1993.
Points of interest
Location and route