St Augustine's Roman Catholic Church was dedicated in 1840. It was the first newly built Roman Catholic church in Utrecht after the Reformation. The building was designed by K.G. Zocher. Its style is Classic Revival, which was favoured by the Department of Waterways. At that time the Department was officially responsible for the construction and architecture of newly built churches. The huge columns and frieze in front of the church and the tympanon on top of them are clearly derived from classical architecture, as is the meandering decoration on the wall behind the columns. However, the belfry-arches in the turret have a simple `gothic' tracery. The interior of St Augustine's shows a large undivided Neo-Baroque space, a richly stuccoed barrel vault and classical capitals on top of columns and pilasters.
Points of interest
Location and route