|Saturday - Sunday||12:00 - 16:00|
- 25 maart
St James is a medieval parish church, founded in the 12th century in a part of the city along the river Vecht. Nothing is known about its oldest shape. During the 14th and 15th centuries the present Gothic church was changed and enlarged several times. Because of a westward extension the tower now stands inside the nave of the church. During the siege of Vredenburg Castle in 1576/77 the southwestern part of the church was badly damaged, as can be seen in the southwest corner where black and white painted beams succeeded the damaged brick vaults. Worth seeing are among other things the magnificent brass screen from the 16th century, a reconstruction of a painting showing Utrecht in the 15th century, the gaily painted circular vault bosses and a small chamber or cubicle at the eastern end of the south aisle, in which a hermitess lived during the late 15th century. Two medieval sundials can be seen on the southern wall at the outside of the church.
Points of interest
Location and route
St Jacobsstraat 171